EDINBURGH BIG SUMMER SHOW 2019
PAGE 1 OF 6
THE VENUE IS 20 MURRAYFIELD DRIVE, EDINBURGH, EH12 6EB
Friday 14th to Sunday 16th June 2019 from 11.00am to 5.00pm daily.
OPEN Thursday 13th June 2019 between 6.00pm and 8.00pm (for those that can't make it over the weekend.
Featuring 300 paintings by 50 of Scotland's leading contemporary artists.
NEW ANN ORAM RSW
Ann Oram (b.1956) studied at the Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) 1976-1982.
Elected RSW 1986.
GORDON MITCHELL RSA RSW RGI
NEW Claire Harkess RSW
Claire Harkess (b.1970) trained at the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) 1988-1993.
Elected RSW 2005.
Harkness is an animal species enthusiast who has an acute awareness of the role that they play in our natural environment. She can also be described as an ethologist (studying animal behaviour in natural conditions and in their natural habitats). She travels extensively (including the Arctic, Antarctica India, Africa, Australia, South America and the Caribbean) to study our wildlife.
She is also a great supporter of re-wilding initiatives in the UK (Including wolves, sea-eagles, wild boar, beaver, cranes and capercaille).
JENNIFER IRVINE RSW RGI
NEW ALLAN J ROBERTSON
Allan J Robertson (b.1953) trained at the Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) 2005-2009.
Disintegration is based upon the old wooden West Pier situated in the Port of Leith's Western Harbour, just along from the Royal Yacht 'Britannia' at Ocen Terminal. It is now derelict but, in it's heyday, it was used by the steamers and pleasure crafts to moor. These crafts toured people up and don the firth of Forth.
The viaduct crosses the Endrick Water not far from Balfron. Prior to 1872 the viaduct was a wooden structure which this work is based on.
Built around 1856, the viaduct carried the railway line that lay between Drymen and Gartness to a quay at Bowling on the Clyde. The railway carried minerals, coals and textiles as well as passengers. It fully closed to passenger services in 1951.
This painting is based on the Leven Bridge, which was a large timber viaduct, probably one of the last wooden bridges to be built in Scotland. The viaduct had to be replaced by a metal and stone pier bridge after twenty years.
The line ran from Stirling on the Forth to Balloch in the west. It traversed two major rivers: the Leven and the Endrick, carrying the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
The viaducts stone piers now support water pipes, a cycle route and a footpath.
Based on the pier at Strone. Strone (Scottish Gaelic: Ant t-Sron) is a village, on the Cowal peninsula in Argyll and Bute in the Scottiah Highlands. The village lies within the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park.
The name comes from the Scottish Gaelic for nose and applies to the hill above the village as well as to Strone Point. It used to have its own pier (Built in 1847) and was a regular stop for the Clyde steamer services.
The pier is now derelict.
Based on the wooden boards and signage which frequents piers, wharves and seaside buildings that haunt our peripheries and our shorelines. These ghostly written signs peeling in the sun. The red paint which fades to pink and peels from the wood. The erode weathered wood showing years of neglect.
All these elements that come together to show a beauty in contrasts.
This bridge linked the islands of Benbecula and South Uist. It was a precast concrete section construction when first built (1942) bu became a granite rock causeway in 1982.
Before the bridge was built, you took your chances at low tide with a horse and cart. Not everyone made it. (One memoir of island life recalls. "the South Ford was a dangerous place. Ghosts of people who had been drowned made frequent appearances. They were to be recognised by traces of sand in their hair".
The original South Ford Bridge was built to connect Benbecula's wartime RAF base to the steamer port at Lochboisdale in South Uist.